Tom Bedford's local patch - Lye Valley, Oxford

This guest blog post is written by diligent patch birder Tom Bedford about his Lye Valley patch. A huge thank you to him for writing this excellent piece about his patch in deepest Oxford, which includes images of the patch as well as some of the excellent records he has gathered there over the years. It is also goes into brilliant detail about how watching visible migration means you can see anything almost anywhere! We hope you thoroughly enjoy reading it. 

My local patch: the Lye Valley area, Oxford
They say strength comes from adversity. But in my case, having fractured the neck of my femur during a half marathon in the spring of 2019, I gained a local patch. Being restricted to walking with crutches for a month, I began taking a daily limp from my house, a circular 4km walk through a couple of scrubby meadows, past an inner-city golf course and up through the small Lye Valley nature reserve. This nature reserve is a SSSI for rare plant species, and a boardwalk allows visitors to walk through a small damp fen, next to the Churchill Hospital. The whole area is surrounded by the housing and hospitals of east Oxford. My birding expectations were zero. Birding somewhere inner-city and far inland is tough enough. But with no open water? No chance. Or so I thought. 

I was surprised to come across a Red-legged Partridge on the golf course that spring, a decent Oxford city record. Little did I know that this species would prove to be an annual spring migrant every spring for the next five years, only recorded between late March and late April. This was the first of many surprising insights that my new Lye Valley patch was to turn up. Having recovered from my injury, I kept visiting my patch. August 2019 saw Dave Lowe and I find a Pied Flycatcher, a county rarity for Oxfordshire, next to the golf course. This was the turning point. If this unassuming area could attract migrant birds, then it was only a matter of putting in enough patch visits to find them. And so it began. 

Tom on the Lye Valley boardwalk

Spring 2020 was dominated by the covid pandemic. Forced to close our business, but allowed to take a daily walk, I visited the Lye Valley area every single day at dawn, all spring. The results were incredible. An inner-city singing Grasshopper Warbler, a flyover pair of Oystercatcher, a flyover Cuckoo and incredibly, four flyover Bar-tailed Godwit. These flyover migrants made me wonder if there was something about the location of my patch, on a slight ridge, 2km up from the River Thames, that could make it productive for visible migration.

I have always carried a camera whilst birding, it is an essential identification tool and provides a lasting record of the species seen. From the autumn of 2020 I also began carrying a small microphone and sound recorder, to capture flight calls. This allowed me to demonstrate that Tree Pipits, another county rarity, are just about annual over the Lye Valley in late August and early September, with birds photographed and sound recorded that year, and most years since.

Tom on Warneford Meadow

If obsessive diurnal coverage was producing results, what about nocturnal coverage? The Common Scoter influx of birds migrating across southern England in the spring of 2020 inspired me to go out onto my patch at night, to see if I could hear and record nocturnal migrants. This is a game that requires even greater patience than daytime patch birding. Hours of sitting listening in the dark in late March and early April finally produced two flocks of Common Scoter, whilst Coot and Wigeon were occasionally recorded.

Weather is a less significant factor for an inland patch than a costal patch, in terms of turning up good birds. But it is still a factor. Prolonged sub-zero temperatures are probably the single most productive weather for my patch. There have been two notable freezes in my eight years of patch coverage, December 2022 and January 2026. Both saw all the standing water in the county freeze, and birds were forced into the city to seek out small streams that still held running water and mud.

In such conditions, I could barely sleep with anticipation. Flyover Northern Lapwing, Golden Plover and even Mute Swan were recorded. For a site with no open water, to find Common Teal, Common Snipe and Jack Snipe feeding on inner-city streams was astonishing. Two records of flyover Whooper Swans, incredible records over the city, made me return to my reflections on my patch being underneath some form of invisible waterbird flyway. 

Flyover Whooper Swans, December 2024

Autumn has gradually become my favourite birding season. Whilst spring is special, it is a very variable season. The spring of 2025 produced not a single notable bird in three months of dedicated coverage. The spring of 2026 was the opposite, with records of Sand Martin, a singing male Common Redstart, both Common Reed and Sedge Warblers and best of all, a remarkable flyover Osprey. And all in Oxford city! Autumn is a much more consistent season. These days I spend much more time recording visible migration, just standing and listening, as migrant birds pass overhead, especially in the first hour or two of light. My favourite mornings have seen movements of Chaffinches, Redpolls, Siskins and winter thrushes. In with these
birds there are the occasional Brambling. My patch does seem to get in on national influxes of migrants. There have been two records of Hawfinch, and three records of Common Crossbill, all in influx years for these species. The best bird of all, in rarity terms, was my very own Yellow-browed Warbler, in the record-breaking influx of 2024. I used to drive around the county in search of scarce birds such as these. Now I let them come to me. And it never ceases to amaze me what can be found, if enough effort is put in, even in sub-optimal inner-city habitat. 

Yellow-browed Warbler, October 2024

Autumn can also produce patch records that are pure madness. A flyover Common Pochard (in mid-August!) is still the only record in nearly 1,000 patch visits. Similarly, the first Oxford city record of Corn Bunting for 40 years made for a memorable patch visit in August 2023.

I feel that I have come a long way from my first, unsuspecting patch visit back in 2019. I have a much better understanding of where and when birds are likely to be found. Using a sound recorder has significantly improved my identification of migrant flight calls, all of these things have made me a better birder. And the learning does not stop. In my eighth year of patch coverage, I discovered that Water Rail and Eurasian Woodcock are likely wintering birds, only found in the most neglected areas of my patch. This summer a pair of Common Firecrest have bred, to my knowledge, the first confirmed breeding record for Oxford city. The changes keep coming. 

Firecrest, March 2026

Let me be clear though, on most patch visits I see nothing. But the joy of patch birding is the joy of discovery. No seasons are the same, no years are the same. On my patch, there are quite periods, when several months can pass between notable sightings. I have now entered a zen-like state, where I regard every quiet patch visit as one visit closer to the moment when I discover something amazing. Even after nearly 1,000 patch visits, there is still nowhere else that I would rather go birding.

A record of all the Lye Valley area bird records can be found here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the 'patchwork' challenge?

Best Find Patchwork Challenge 2026 - January to June edition - Entries!

Best Find Patchwork Challenge 2026 - January to June edition